Friday, July 13, 2007

One


"One" acrylic on canvas, 72"x96", 2002

When I was in the process of making this painting, I became engaged to my wife Danielle.
Aside from some mural work this was the largest painting on canvas I had done to date. I was not living with Danielle at the time, and I could not paint it in the studio I was presently in because of its sheer size. So some really great and wonderfully creative friends of mine lent me the living room of their house for two months. I thank Norman, Annie, Bernice, and Mark very much for the fun afternoons of painting in their beautiful home. On weekends Norman would invite friends over, turn the couch towards the canvas (at distance), and people would watch me paint. The images are very forefront. Exposed in their sparse bedroom at dawn, a barren light bulb flicked on, and the figures so oversized that one cannot help but feel like they are intruding. It is a very voyeuristic painting. So I guess, in this context, very appropriate that I had an audience at times watching me expose this painting to reality.

No comments: