Thursday, September 4, 2008

"In The Studio" new works by Randal Gordy Lee

"In The Studio 1" 50"X50"
acrylic on canvas, 2008

I am an expressionist with an attraction to line, which is very present in my paintings. I’m a modern romantic that loves to portray narratives in timeless settings that tell stories through theatrical moments.
“In The Studio” is a series of works that are the result of several sketchbooks that I had done in the cold winter months. The feel of line at winter, especially on very cold sunny mornings, is sharp, hard, and reflects quickly from the surface.
I was born and raised in Nova Scotia. I have lived in Toronto for the past eight years with my wife and two children. Before coming to Toronto, I lived in Vancouver, B.C., and Canmore, Alberta. I have no formal art education, but I was encouraged early on in life by my Mother to explore and nurture my interests and talents in art.
I had personal art tutors in high school and I was home schooled in the three years of junior high school.
I was an avid bird watcher; John James Audubon and Robert Bateman were admired. Later I became fascinated in architecture and designers like Frank Lloyd Wright. Edgar Degas and William Blake I loved for gesture, form and anatomy and the power of story through art. Later I would find a connection in Edvard Munch for his raw soul searching expressionism.
While living in Toronto, I have been in several group shows and art auctions, such as RAW (Riverdale Art Walk), Sunnybrook Art Auction, Art Party, Exile Group show and many others.

"In The Studio 2" 48"X62"
acrylic on canvas, 2008





No comments: